A dish inspired by Deliciously Ella who also happened to like the picture that I took of it on Instagram!
(Fan moment there.)
I like salad. I’m vegetarian so I have to like salad but it’s one of those dishes that I don’t ever get a craving for. However, summer is here and before or after a long day usually mountain biking or hiking, I need something cool, energy boosting and something that fills me up. I’m always tempted to grab something bread based (because it’s filling) but my recent wheat and gluten sensitivities prohibit me from doing that. So salad is a good alternative. Who knew a salad can actually fill you up?
This salad combination was actually given to me by a recently turned vegetarian friend of mine but Deliciously Ella inspired me to make it look so pretty and to use avocado (which I’m addicted to now)! I find taking pictures of my food helps me to be a lot more creative and makes me quit grabbing for foods that are not good for me.
For this avocado, pear and Roquefort salad which serves 2 you’ll need:
- 1 avocado
- Half of pear
- 4-6 Mini peppers in red, orange and yellow
- 1/2 tablespoons of Roquefort cheese
- Mixed Salad
- A handful of plum tomatoes
- Stuffed olives with garlic
- Red pepper hummus
- Coleslaw (optional)
1. Place a handful of salad leaves on to a plate or bowl.
2. Peel and de-stone the avocado, chopping into chunks and place over the salad leaves.
3. Cut and de-seed the peppers and place evenly.
4. Cut the plum tomatoes in half and place on the out side of the plate.
5. Place the olives in between the plum tomatoes.
6. Peel the pear skin off and then use the peel to put ‘shavings’ of pear over the salad.
7. Crumble the Roquefort cheese over the salad.
8. Place a splodge of hummus and coleslaw on the side of the plate.
– I didn’t use a dressing because the cheese has enough flavour but you can use a drizzle of olive oil.
-Be warned because Roquefort cheese is VERY strong so less is more.
– I didn’t make my own hummus but there is an awesome recipe from Deliciously Ella that I’m going to try.
I’ve been trying my best to change the way I eat. Especially since I’ve been training for this Coast to Coast. It’s not been a perfect journey and I have not gone on any diets. If anything I’ve just reduced and in most cases cut out white bread, pizza, sugar and milk. I’ve still eaten lots of cake but it’s home made most of the time. My diet is not perfect but it’s a work in progress. I’ve really enjoyed cooking creatively lately and taking pictures on Instagram so I’m hoping this will spur me on and even you?
Let me know what you think of the salad and come say hi on Instagram